Real Estate Buying Tips
This page includes a lot of Katy real estate buying tips, but my best tip is: Get the best real estate agent! I would love to help you buy a great home! I specialize in getting home buyers the RIGHT home in the RIGHT neighborhood at the RIGHT price. My clients love me (read testimonials) because they know I’ve got their back! I watch out for defective homes, over-priced homes, and homes that may be difficult to re-sell when the time comes. I focus on getting you a home that meets your current needs but also is (hopefully) a good long-term investment. I have received the Five-Star Real Estate Agent award for the past TEN years because of my client satisfaction ratings. Less than 1 percent of all the agents in the Houston-metro area receive this honor! (see details)
List of My Value-Added Services for VIP Home Buyers
My job isn’t “just” helping you find a house to buy…I’m helping you through the entire 2-4 month process of buying a home. There are over 100 tasks that I perform during the purchasing process. I’m looking out for you every step of the way and keeping my eye on the listing agent, the seller, the builder (if applicable), the lender, the inspector, appraiser, HOA, and the title company. I’m on YOUR side because I’m YOUR agent.
I help with price analysis, contract negotiations, legal paperwork, inspections, appraisal issues, repair negotiations, home warranties, HOA compliance inspections, hazard insurance, surveys, title commitment, home warranties, and more. I have the expertise to help solve complicated problems that often occur in the process and I work to make sure that you don’t lose your earnest money or worse.
Real estate is a huge financial and legal commitment. Don’t you deserve to have a Five-Star real estate agent on your side?
Here’s How I Add Value to Your Home Buying Process:
- Premium, customized home search (based on my knowledge of the area school ratings and flood zones) to filter out homes that don’t meet your criteria. You can’t get this level of a home search on your own!
- Online home review BEFORE you tour a house, to look for potential defects such as high-risk flood zone, high-voltage power lines, MUD tanks, previous flooding, and other issues…so you don’t waste time touring undesirable homes.
- Detailed home tours (in-person or via VIDEO* for out-of-town clients), where I help identify the features and benefits of each home and neighborhood as well as any potential home defects (so you don’t end up with a “money pit”).
*I’ve sold many homes “sight unseen” to out-of-state an out-of-country clients, via my HD video walkthroughs (view sample). I will even video the inspector summary and final walkthrough for you.
- Hyperlocal knowledge and expertise so I can point out the amenities, PROs and CONs, and HOA details of most neighborhoods in this area.
- My “Ultimate Home Buyer Guide” for THIS AREA (not generic) that includes helpful info about the INs and OUTs of the home buying process here in Texas. Remember that real estate laws are different from state to state.
- Detailed pricing data and expert Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) on the house you select to purchase, so you can make a good decision regarding the price. Pricing homes is my superpower! 😊
- Expert contract creation and negotiations to help you get the house you want…even in multi-offer situations.
- Assistance with hiring home inspectors, reviewing inspection reports, and guiding you on necessary repairs/costs so you make the wisest decision in your home purchase.
- Floorplans! I can create a floorplan of any home you purchase, whether provided by the home seller or not.
- Project management of all the legal deadlines and requirements throughout the transaction. You’ve got enough to deal with the packing, moving, and job/school relocation activities!
- Assistance in managing the title commitment/insurance process and working with the title company (to make sure there are no liens on the property).
- Assistance with home surveys and their impact on your transaction.
- Assistance with appraisals and their impact on your transaction. I know how to protect you if the appraisal “comes in low” (which can happen in super-hot seller markets like ours).
- Assistance with HOA compliance documents, fees, and procedures.
- Help with obtaining home owner’s insurance and flood insurance.
- Guidance with choosing a home warranty as needed.
- Helpful information regarding all the utilities (MUD info) applicable to the home you purchase.
- Helpful “Planning the Move” information and “Info About New Home” that will help make your transition easier.
- “Moving Survival Kit” provided as my Closing gift. This contains the things you will need on your moving day (but are usually packed) such as: soap, trash bags, paper plates, cups, toilet paper, snacks, box cutter, etc.
- Guidance on your homestead tax exemption and how to apply for it in a timely manner to reduce your property taxes.
- Helpful monthly home maintenance reminders, to take care of your investment!
Whew! That’s way more than “just” showing houses. 😄
Here are some other articles about “buyer representation”…
- Should You Use a Buyer’s Agent?
- What is a buyer’s agent, and do I need one?
- How a Buyer’s Agent Can Help Your Home Search
- Do I need a Realtor to buy a house?
Buying a Home From Out-of-State
I have helped many home buyers purchase a home here while living out-of-state and out-of-country. Here’s how it works:
- You get home alerts from my Premium Customized Home Search.
- When you see a house you are interested in buying, you contact me to go tour it. I will obtain permission from the home seller to tour the home.
- I video-record a very thorough walk-through of the home in High Definition (including pantry, closets, garage, front and back yards, street view, laundry room…everything!) and upload it privately to YouTube (see sample).
- You can view the video and even stop and rewind as needed.
- You tell me to write an offer.
- I put your offer together and send to you for e-signatures.
- We go through the negotiation process.
- If the seller accepts your offer, then you hire an inspector and pay by credit card (I can provide a helpful list of inspectors or you can hire someone else).
- I will attend the last 30 minutes of the inspection to get an in-person summary and I will video it for you, if the inspector allows it. You will also get a detailed inspection report with photos.
- We will work together to ensure you want to move forward with the transaction after the inspection.
- If you move forward, then I will manage other aspects of the buying process (see list above).
- You can choose to do a remote Closing (where you are) or you can fly in to do the Closing here. Sometimes only one spouse flies in and signs for the other spouse at Closing (but this requires special approval by your lender, well in advance).
- I will video-record the final walk-through (if you are not able to be here) to ensure the home is still in good shape before you sign the Closing paperwork.
- If you Close remotely, then I can get your house keys and hold them for you until you arrive.
The one thing I am not allowed to do for you is any property management after the Closing. It is against my brokerage rules because it requires a special kind of insurance (and more) that most real estate agents do not have. However, I can refer you to a property management company.
Also, most home owner’s insurance will not allow a home to be vacant for more than two months. Make sure you find out about that during the process.
Here’s what some of my remote home buyers have said about the process…
Premium Customized Home Search
so I can help you find the exact type of home you want.
View My Videos About Home Buying
When You Are Ready to Tour Homes
When you are ready to tour some homes, then call/text me at 832-779-2890 so we can get you on the calendar and discuss exactly what will be the perfect home for you. As a Katy real estate agent (an expert!) I can narrow your focus and help you find the perfect neighborhood.
Or you can send me your perfect home criteria here: https://www.katyhomesforsaletx.com/katy-reports-guides/katy-home-search
Once I set up your custom search, then you will start getting home listings via email and you can mark them with Hearts to mark your favorites. A couple of days before our scheduled tour, I make appointments for your Favorite homes and print out the maps, home data, etc. for our tour. On the day of our tour we will meet at my office and then drive the area together so I can tell you about the area and point out various features while also touring homes. This is a great way to find your perfect home!
Helpful Articles About Home Buying
REALTORS DON’T “JUST” SELL HOUSES
Real estate agents don’t “just” sell houses; we sell a SERVICE to guide home buyers and sellers through the entire real estate transaction, which usually takes several months. We are more like real estate consultants than we are salespeople. That’s probably why 86 percent of all home buyers and sellers choose to hire a real estate agent when buying or selling a home!
Buying or selling a home is not like buying or selling a TV, a computer, or a car. You can’t buy/sell a home in one day…even if the buyer is paying cash. There are MANY legal aspects, deadlines, and requirements that most people are not trained to handle. What’s more…mistakes along the way can cost you thousands and even hundreds of thousands of dollars. The financial risk is much greater than just about anything else you may buy.
FREE GUIDES & REPORTS
Click Image Below to Download a Guide or Report
View Helpful Videos on My YouTube Channel
Why You Should Hire Me
Candid Advice—I promise to give you candid advice on all homes and areas so you can make the best decisions. I won’t ignore potential defects that can cost you money, or effect your resale value, in the future…I point them out to you! My job is to protect you from defective homes as much as possible while helping you make a sound financial investment. (Read client testimonials)
Local Area Expertise—This isn’t just my business…it’s where I work and live (for 20 years) so I really know the area. I will help you narrow your options and find the best neighborhood for you based on your specifications. For long-term resale value, the neighborhood you choose is just as important as the home you buy. (Download my Ultimate Katy Guide)
Great Pricing Data—I will give you the most in-depth data you have ever seen…to help you make the wisest decisions. This includes a professional CMA when you are ready to purchase a specific home…so you don’t pay too much. (Also see Pricing a Home Correctly)
Premium Customized Home Searches—Yes, you can search on your own, but no other home search available can filter down to the school level…and filter out the subdivisions that may be known to flood. Tell me exactly what you want, and I can narrow down your options better than any search you have access to. (Request a Premium Customized Home Search)
Video Walkthroughs—If you or your spouse lives out of the state or country, then you will enjoy my detailed video walkthroughs. I have sold multiple homes to out-of-area clients “sight unseen” by providing High Definition video walkthroughs of potential homes. My videos show front and back yards, closets, pantries, laundry rooms, and the garage…as well as the entire home. This gives you a complete picture of the house (unlike those silly Matterports). I also point out any potential defects or deferred maintenance that I see. (view sample video walkthrough)
Easier Process—Moving your family (and possibly changing jobs) is stressful enough. I’m your transaction manager and will guide you, step-by-step, through the process so you never miss an important deadline. I assist with inspections, repair negotiations, home warranties, HOA compliance inspections, hazard insurance, surveys, appraisals, title commitment, home warranties, title company, and more. (Get Details of My Value-Added Services)
Connect With Sheila